In the coming weeks we are taking a quick peek at what’s inside our products. Information is power and we think it’s essential you know what is in your food! That’s why we’ve created “What’s Inside” to share with you the ingredients of our many creations. First up, our Cookies. Simple ingredients. Tremendous nutritional deliciousness.
WHY WE LOVE OUR COOKIES? Because they are full of OATS!!!
Oats have been getting a bad rap lately. Our Brand Ambassador and Nutritionist by trade) Erica wants to set the record straight on OATS.
“Although oats are hulled, this process does not strip away their bran and germ, allowing them to remain a concentrated source of their fibre and nutrients.” (Murrary 328)
Some important nutritional information on OATS:
1) They are a great source of minerals: manganese, selenium, and phosphorous. Oats have more than three times as much magnesium as calcium.
2) Specifically they are a great source of the mineral Iron. For Plant-Based eaters, oats are a great source of iron as they rely on vegetables and grains for their iron from food. A serving of oats have 2.1 milligrams of iron (12 percent of the daily requirement)
3) They are a good source of soluble dietary fibre which means you stay satiated longer and can keep your blood sugar levels steady to prevent spikes and crashes after meals. This is why our Morning Glory cookie is a great alternative to eating cereal for breakfast, cereal can be full of sugar and is often a low nutrient dense food. Our Cowgirl cookie is a great post workout cookie or snack, a great alternative to protein bars that can be full of highly processed ingredients, such as alcohol sugars.
4) They help lower cholesterol: Oat bran’s dietary fibre is high in beta-glucan which helps to lower cholesterol.
5) ANTIOXIDANTS: “Oats are a great source of avenanthramides, which are a type of polyphenol that act as antioxidants in the body.” (Murray, 328)
6) DIGESTION: Digestive health is all the wellness world can talk about these days and for good reason. Oats are rich in fiber, which plays a central role in digestive health. Fiber moves through the gastrointestinal tract undigested, which makes for smooth bowel movements and a healthy gut.
TIPS ON HOW TO EAT OUR COOKIES:
1) Break it up and add it to your favourite coconut yogurt as an impromptu breakfast parfait.
2) Pour yourself a nice cold glass of almond milk and dip our Cowgirl Cookie into it and savour your favourite childhood memories.
3) Cut the cookie into 8ths and put in your freezer, whenever you have a craving for a delicious treat, take one (or two) triangle treats out of the freezer, day dream about it for 10 minutes while it thaws and then enjoy.
Murray, Michael. The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods. New York, New York. ATRIA Books, 2005.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Did you know that one of your favourite Earth and City products is a collaboration with another awesome Toronto-based small business? That’s right...our crackers contain leftover nutrient-rich juice pulp from Village Juicery’s cold-pressed juices.
These days there are apps for everything from playing with someone else’s dog to sailing on someone else’s boat. There’s even one for using other people’s toilets!
It’s called Garden Sharing... the idea is to build a sense of community, give people access to green space and create a supply of healthy, local and organic fruits and vegetables.